05 May 2009

Writing Cycle

After several years of contemplating on the same stories and ideas, I decided to own up and create for myself a cycle. I'm not even sure if the stories are going to qualify as short stories or novels, or just fragments after a while.

The cycle is somewhere close to the realm of reincarnation, but not so much as the dying and rebirth idea behind it, but for the second-chance aspect that it seems to grant. I'm not saying that every particular rebirth means a second-chance at something, but there is the idea that there's something to make up for from a previous life. I like that very much.

I'd have to say that a book was the cause for a budding interest. In high school, I started reading Richard Matheson's work, and one of those was What Dreams May Come. It left a very strong impression. While I was at Adelphi, I even started to do research about it. Of course, researching all that, I didn't really have much else to talk about and I think I was pretty bad at coming up with palatable conversation topics. And now, I want to write much more about it? My friends will get more death-related talks than they ever want, maybe.

However, I don't remember exactly what sparked that particular topic to keep popping up so frequently. I think it can remain a mystery, anyway, and I am quite excited to actually embark on this writing journey, now that I'm comfortable with it. Stories that I can safely include in this cycle are The Puppet Project and Fifteen Souls, titles that I am comfortable with for now while I'm working on them. Who knows if I will ever come up with something better? I am certain that The Puppet Project will be a novel, while Fifteen Souls might look nice visually, if I could find a partner to help me in that aspect. In the meantime, it's in a planning stage that kind of makes me feel like I'm going crazy whenever I write down stuff about it. It's this story that also makes me NOT want to read anything else while I'm working on it, so that aspects of other work does not affect it.

I understand that I'm writing about these stories without any specific details concerning them, so I will attempt to summarize with one (awful) sentence for each one.

The Puppet Project: A family, unwilling to be the way they turned out from a recent tragedy, adjusts to another, sudden unwelcome addition, who has to earn his way back into having his own skin again.
Fifteen Souls: A young woman finds out that what she thought was multiple-personality disorder, wasn't.

My gosh, those summaries...are kind of lame. Oh well, that's all I'll reveal.

In related writing news, I am planning to use next month to finish up “The Little Girl Who Ate Nuclear Warheads.” It's been two plus years since I started that story, and only last year did I start to fix it through workshop classes. It's so close to completion, but it's the end that's jarring me. I want to make sure I have everything consistent in the flow of the story and characterization. I'm very excited! When I finish it, I will create a file of it that can be distributed on the net, so everyone can read and see if they like it or not. This short story is about a little girl with an acquired appetite.

No comments: